Thursday, September 20, 2012

PLN #4: High School, Only Shorter

“High School, Only Shorter,” by Sue Shellenbarger, portrays ideas about how graduating from high school in three years instead of four is extremely helpful to some kids and how they are motivated to move far in life.  There were examples of many kids’ experiences with graduating early and they said that it was well worth it and in some cases it has already paid off.  Many of them said that it is good to graduate early because that one extra year is an advantage; “If I get out a year early, that's a year extra of pay, and that's a year earlier of retirement. That's a whole year of my time that I can do whatever I want.” Other students who graduated early said that college was the best experience of their lives and it was good that they got to go early.

I think that the article “High School, Only Shorter,” by Sue Shellenbarger, is very motivational in telling students that what you do with your education is one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make.  Reading this makes me want to work hard in school and maybe even graduate early because of all the great things I can do and all the advantages I would get from it.  This makes me think that college is going to be a wonderful experience and now I can’t wait to go! This piece is influential to me because it emphasizes even more than I have already been told how important college and education in general is.  All high-schoolers should read this article because it will hopefully lead them to realize how much you can do with your life if you lead a good education.

No comments:

Post a Comment